These fresh, vibrant tacos are perfect for a warm summer evening.
Named for the drink, these tacos are brightened up by the flavors of rum and mint – and it totally works.
1. 4 chicken breasts, butterflied
2. 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
3. 2 teaspoons fresh mint, finely minced
4. 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, finely minced
5. 2 tablespoons rum
6. Juice of 4 limes, plus the zest of 2 of them
7. Pinch Kosher salt
8. 2 teaspoons Aleppo chili flakes (or 1 teaspoon red chili flakes)
9. 2 -3 cloves garlic, pressed, finely minced or grated on a microplane
10. 1/2 cup orange juice
1. Whisk ingredients 2 – 10 together in a large bowl until well combined. Add chicken breasts, turning well to coat several times. Cover, refridgerate and allow to marinate at least 2 hours, or up to 6
2. Heat grill to medium high. Remove chicken from marinade using tongs allowing excess marinade to drip off before placing on grill grate. Grill chicken until lightly charred and internal temperature is 155°F. Verify using an instant read thermometer.
4. Remove chicken from grill, place on a carving board, and tent lightly with foil. Allow to rest at least 10 minutes and up to 30.
5. Dice grilled chicken and serve with warm corn tortillas, Mexican crema, avocado, pico degallo, salsa, shredded cheese, and whatever else you like your tacos with. Be sure to include extra mint, cilantro and lots of limes with your garnishes – these flavors make the dish!
Note: I personally find that Cotija cheese, which is akin to a Mexican Parmesan, balances the flavors here perfectly.