This one-sheet wonder will have dinner on the table in no time. The key is to cook the salmon low and slow in a steamy oven so that it retains maximum flavor and silkiness.
- 1 2lbs(ish) salmon filet, skin on, cut into portion size pieces (use scissors or a very sharp knife).
- 2lbs Asparagus
- 1 stick butter (4oz), softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon and it’s juice
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo chili flakes (or 1 teaspoon chili powder)
- 6-8 lemon slices, sliced into 1/8th inch thick rounds (2 or so lemons)
- Make the Brown Butter Sauce: Combine butter, mayo, brown sugar, lemon juice and zest, chili flakes and mix well in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare the Oven: Position two racks in the oven: one in the center, and one on the bottom. Fill an oven-proof dish 2/3 of the way with water and place on the bottom rack. Preheat oven to 275°F
- Prepare the Salmon and Asparagus: Line a full baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place salmon filet pieces skin side down on baking sheet. Arrange asparagus around salmon filets, making sure the asparagus is (mostly) in a single layer. Spoon half the butter mixture over salmon in blobs, place lemon slices on top. Spoon the rest of the mixture (also in blobs) onto the asparagus.
- Cook: Bake the salmon and asparagus in the oven until salmon reads 115°F on an instant read thermometer. Change oven setting from bake to broil-high, and broil salmon and asparagus until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with foil; allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Salmon and asparagus will carry over to the proper temperature.
- Serve: Plate however you like; use charred lemon slices as garnish and to squeeze over everything.