This Homemade Caesar Salad is tangy, delicious and the perfect compliment to almost any meal.
Time: 10 minutes
Cost: About $4 (for the whole thing!)
Serves: 4- 6
- 1 Egg (Coddled, if you wish, or 2 egg yolks)
- 3-4 cloves garlic. minced
- 2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons Anchovy Paste (optional, adds umami!)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- About 1 cup vegetable or Canola oil (olive oil will get bitter if you beat it up too much)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bunches Romaine Lettuce hearts, roughly chopped
- 1.5-2 cups croutons (you can make your own, but I usually just use store-bought)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
In a Food Processor: Combine ingredients 1-6 in a food processor and pulse a couple of times to break things up a bit. With the motor running, slowly drizzle oil into the mixture until a thick emulsion begins to form. Go slowly at first; you can add the oil in more quickly once the emulsion begins to stabilize.
Using an Immersion Blender: An Immersion Blender makes for easier clean-up. Find a cup the bottom of which is the same size as the head of your immersion blender. Combine ingredients 1-6 in the bottom of this cup and insert the head of the blender all the way to the bottom. Pulse a couple of times to break things up. With the motor running, slowly drizzle oil into the mixture until a thick emulsion begins to form. Go slowly at first; you can add the oil in more quickly once the emulsion begins to stabilize.
Once emulsified, stir in olive oil.
Combine ingredients 9-10 in a large salad or tossing bowl, season aggressively with fresh ground black pepper, and mix well. Add desired amount of dressing to salad and toss well.