This salad is a meal in itself. Variety is the key here: Do what you like, but be sure to include lots of different veggies, greens and Italian deli meats. Also, be sure to make the dressing from scratch – the dressing really livens up the salad, and since you’re having salad for dinner, you might as well go all out. Store bought dressing in a salad like this one just won’t meet expectations.
Ingredients & Instructions
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced or run through a microplane zester
- 1 tablespoon dried powdered oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Whisk all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Dressing can be made 1 day in advance. When left standing for a while, dressing will separate – not to worry, just re-whisk to incorporate right before serving.
For the Salad
- 10oz Romaine lettuce hearts
- Jar of marinated artichoke hearts (6-8oz), drained
- Jar of pepperoncini (6-8oz), drained
- Croutons, as desired
- Assortment of fresh veggies: Mushrooms, Asparagus, Broccoli, Tomatoes (steam certain veggies first and the shock in an ice-bath if necessary)
- 6oz assorted Italian Deli Meats: Salami, Prosciutto, Capocollo, Calabrese
- Mozzarella or Provolone cheese
Combine ingredients 1-5 in a large tossing bowl. Chiffonade Deli Meats and cheese into fine strips and add to bowl. Toss well to combine.
Dress salad all at once or allow eaters to dress for themselves in individual serving bowls.