These Fish Tacos are as simple as they are delicious. The thing that really, really makes them is the toppings – Fresh Homemade Guacamole, Homemade Pico De Gallo, Chipotle Mayo – and Cotija cheese. The perfect treat for a summer evening.
- 2-3 lbs Mahi Mahi (figure 8-12 oz per person)
- Medium sized corn tortillas
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 4-5 jalapeño peppers, finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 ripe avocados
- Hatch green chiles (optional)
- 8-10 limes
- 1/2 cup mayo (homemade is best)
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 chipotle chiles from a can of chipotles in adobo, seeded and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from the same can in (12)
- Juice and zest of one lime.
- Cotija cheese
For the Pico de Gallo
- Begin by dicing up the tomatoes. Transfer diced tomatoes to a colander, season very generously with Kosher salt, toss, and transfer to the sink to drain. Doing this first while prepping the other ingredients will allow time for the salt to pull the moisture out of the tomatoes, which will ensure that you don’t have a watery salsa at the end.
- Dice jalapeños (reserving half for the guacamole)
- Dice onion
- Chop cilantro (use 1/3 for the Pico, 1/3 for the guacamole, and 1/3)
- Retrieve tomatoes from colander. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over mixture. Toss, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Guacamole
- Peel and pit avocados. Place in a medium bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over avocado flesh and season with Kosher salt
- Add the remaining jalapeños and 1/3 of the cilantro and mash together until smooth, using two forks or a potato masher
For the Chipotle Mayo
- Combine Mayo, sour cream, chipotle chiles, adobo sauce, lime juice and lime zest together in a blender or food processor
- Process until smooth.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle for easy use. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
For the Mahi Mahi
- Brush mahi-mahi steaks lightly with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper (or whatever other seasoning you feel like). Grill fish over medium-high heat until center registers 145°F on an instant read thermometer.
- Cut mahi-mahi steaks in half lengthwise
For the Tortillas
- Sprinkle tortillas with cotija cheese.
- Warm tortillas on a hot griddle or frying pan until cheese is melted.
Place 1-2 fish strips on each tortilla. Top with Pico de Gallo, guacamole, chipotle mayo, extra cotija cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lime.